I met the owners and discussed design options for their new fireplace facing. I suggested some things they could do to cut costs, including doing the demo + sheetrock/taping + painting + wood mantel installation + supplying all materials. We discussed a few important challenges on their project, and I suggested solutions. Photo shows what was there when I returned to actually start my work.
Challenges addressed at initial consultation:
1) The hearth needed to be strong so it would not crack over time, but I was concerned about the significant weight added to the floor system... right next to freshly-installed travertine flooring. I used a poured concrete hearth reinforced with steel to make the hearth monolithic (one solid piece). As an extra preventative measure I installed an extra pier under the floor joists directly under the center of the hearth.
2) Owners wanted a natural stone, but most natural stone would add more weight to the floor load. I suggested a cut natural stone thin enough to be stuck to the wall, transferring the wall stone weight to the framed wall behind it. 3) The existing floor needed to be protected. Thousands of pounds of materials needed to be carried in by hand. I used heavy paper as well as sheets of plywood to protect the floor.
forming for the concrete hearth
concrete hearth poured, stone hearth cap stone set
Alex F. (owner) "My wife and I are very picky customers with very high expectations, Rudy exceeded all of them. Not only was the job done correctly the first time but he was very considerate to our home. Every night before leaving he cleaned and picked up his tools and left our home the way it was. He showed up on time every day and worked till the job was completed. He met with us daily to update us on the progress and made sure we understood everything as the job was being done."
before beginning work above the hearth, I protected the expensive hearth cap stone as shown
Depending on the stone, sometimes it makes sense to layout and make cuts on the floor